Sunday, February 16, 2014

Undulating twill and other things.






This week I completed an undulating twill weave using 100% Australian wool. This was an 8 shaft project. I am pleased with the results, but think that it is too heavy for a scarf and for a next project I should adjust the sett. This week I am setting up the loom with cotton and have borrowed a book with Scandinavian Projects to inspire me.

I saw a lucet or Knitting fork for the first time in my life. I was only aware of the French knitting spools. Apparently the rope made with the lucet, an old scandinavian tool, will not unravel if cut. I will have to see if I can make one when I get back home, it seems easy enough to carve out of wood.

Also on the list of things to do when I get back home are strawberry protectors. Strawberry protectors are pebbles painted just like strawberries which supposedly get birds confused when they peck at them and find that they are far from soft and sweet. Here is a link to a site where you can learn how to make them.

I also finally learned what these cotton crochet circles are for. I always thought it was odd that anyone would make what I thought were potholders from crochet cotton. It would just not be practical, with all those holes you would burn your fingers. But what they are really for is to dry your dishes, or in other words "dish cloths". I found these at an op shop along with these pretty yellow and orange embroidered cloths.

This week it seems was a week for learning many new things. To add to the list is Hyperbolic crochet and a book that looks very interesting: 
"A Field Guide to Hyperbolic Space: An Exploration of the Intersection of Higher Geometry and Feminine Handicraft." by Margaret Wertheim.
If you are interested in this subject check out the Institute for Figuring website and perhaps start a Satellite Hyperbolic Reef in your town.

But the best best thing was learning about Australian native bees at the Addison Road Community Garden. I saw a Blue Banded bee there, it was beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. A blue banded bee! Wow! That book on hyperbolic space... Next thing you know you'll be weaving the fabric of the universe :)

    ReplyDelete